The Top 10 Reasons to study in Florence
“The Dream is the most real thing there is. Learn to live within the world of the real. Here your habits and convictions, your old codes, no longer apply… What you call reality is only an image that must be completely overturned. Nothing of the old world can be brought with you. You will have to learn a new way of thinking, breathing, acting and loving… It is time to abandon your conflictual vision of the world. It is time for you to die to all that which is lifeless. It is time to be reborn. It is time for a new exodus and a new freedom. It is the greatest adventure a man can possibly imagine: the regaining of his own lost integrity.”
There are those who dream and those who live the dream. To take themselves out of their comfort zone and immerse themselves in a new culture. This is how you discover your path, the opportunity to be reborn into a new place. To be part of an unfamiliar world with a different set of ideals, values, language and culture, No matter who you are or where you come from, studying in a city like Florence Italy will ignite your vision and creative passion into an exciting new existence of hope and opportunity.
Florence exudes all of the qualities of an open-air museum, evoking the allure of artists like Michelangelo, Da Vinci and Dante. It brings the emergence of a new image of self, and a deepening and enriching side to the meaning of human life and history. As the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance, people have for centuries travelled from all over the world to celebrate Florentine art and culture.
The European School of Economics, one of Florence’s leading educational institutions whose unique philosophy and programmes continue to produce future managers, leaders, and entrepreneurs of contemporary international business, is proud to offer a list of the top 10 reasons why Florence is an ideal location to embark on a study abroad program.
THE TOP 10 REASONS TO STUDY IN FLORENCE
10. TRAVEL – Being that you’re enrolled in an international school, most give you the flexibility and time to travel and explore Europe. New adventures are right at your fingertips. Places like Germany, Spain, Ireland and England are all short plane or train rides away. Within Italy, Florence is the capital of Tuscany and is located in the heart of one of Italy’s most beautiful regions. You can easily travel from the city to Pisa, Rome, Milan, Bologna, Venice and just about everywhere else!
9. NIGHTLIFE – Enjoy your evenings by sitting out of one of the lovely bars and restaurants before hitting one of Florence’s luxurious clubs. If clubbing is not your scene, Florence offers a diversity of down to earth student bars and lounges that offer a diverse mix of locals and International students. Florence is also known for having ‘Aperitivo’ where you can enjoy an early drink at local bars and indulge in a complimentary buffet of Italian cuisine such as crostini and pasta.
8. ITALIAN FOOD AND WINE – Tuscany is one of the best regions in the whole of Italy for food and wine. The city itself is home to some of the best restaurants in the world, many of them surprisingly affordable. You can even take a cooking class while you study and learn to prepare traditional Tuscan cuisine over a large glass of wine. Become a wine connoisseur and visit one of the many Tuscan vineyards and enjoy wine tasting and ‘degustazione’ while learning how they make their most famous Chianti wine.
7. INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS -students come from all nationalities so you can enhance your international outlook by understanding different cultures and perspectives. Also living amongst Florentines, they are passionate about their city and love life. They are an intoxicating people to be around and have a strong sense of their cities history.
6. STUDYING A NEW LANGUAGE – Italian language is known as one of the romance languages and it’s no secret that the best way to learn a language is to move to the country so you’re entirely immersed in it. Learning another language breaks down communication barriers and opens a world of communication with people from all over the world. For any student looking to break into a career in fashion or art, being fluent in Italian language will keep you one step ahead of other non-bilingual candidates.
5. SHOPPING & FASHION – Although Florence specializes in leather goods, it is filled with outdoor markets, the most famous being the vendors in the San Lorenzo Market district. Inside the market, you will find fantastic food vendors, selling meats, cheeses, olives, breads, and countless goodies. Outside the market, vendors of clothing, leather goods, jewelry and ceramics are waiting to bargain with customers. The Mercato Nuovo, near the Ponte Vecchio, is another place to look for discount finds and tourist trinkets and Piazza Santo Spirito is the place to go for unique items such as vintage clothing and accessories, antiques, jewelry, pottery, and more.
4. LEARNING A NEW ARTISTIC CULTURE – Florence is inspiring. It’s a city of where you can ‘breathe’ amongst an Italian combination of both artistic genius and excellence, blending its art into culture in such a way that there’s always something new to see, do or experience. The city is an active center for exhibitions and art festivals that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. It offers endless opportunities to become intimately acquainted with the artistic, architectural, literary, and cultural achievements of Italy’s past. From the Galleria degli Uffizi, one of the greatest art galleries in the world to the Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence’s cathedral (or Duomo), there is culture to inspire you around every corner. You cannot help but become infatuated, surrounded by so much beauty. Organizing day trips and tours with your fellow students will help you make the most of this artistic city and help cultivate and develop your own passions.
3. A CITY OF WARMTH – Being that there is a tremendous amount of diversity within Florence, many Italians embrace new cultures. They are open-minded individuals who open their arms to diversity. They are proud of their city and relish in opportunities to discuss the history of this great city. From the barista at the local coffee shop to the waiter serving you a pizza margarita you’ll find most Italians have a strong sense of passion in discussing the magic that makes Florence what it is.
2. THE ART AND ARCHETECTURE – Florence has managed to preserve some of the greatest works of art and architecture of its time. The wonderful quality about Florence is that it is rich in culture yet unpretentious. The region has inspired many great artists such as Brunelleschi, Donatello, Masaccio, Botticelli, Paolo Uccello and the universal genius of Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. Some of the great artists of European History were given the resources and surroundings necessary to create an amazing collection of architecture, sculpture and paintings that all reside in Florence.
1. DISCOVERING YOU – It’s daunting to move to a new place, having little or no friends, strange sights and smells but if there’s one thing that change will bring, its positivity, it brings opportunities, it brings new experience and it always moves us forward. Fear is normal but it’s better to be scared and progressive than comfortable and stagnant. There is magic to the city that you will instantly feel and it will ignite your passion and your own unique Renaissance.